Top 10 Places to Visit with Children in and around Oro Valley
Oro Valley, Arizona, is a wonderful destination for families looking to explore the natural beauty of the Southwest. With its warm climate and stunning landscapes, the area is home to a variety of exciting activities for children of all ages. Here are the top places to visit with children in and around Oro Valley.
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum: The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is an outdoor museum that features exhibits and displays of animals and plants native to the Sonoran Desert. Visitors can see live animal exhibits, botanical gardens, and a variety of natural history exhibits. The museum is located west of Tucson, just a short drive from Oro Valley. Visit Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum Website
- Reid Park Zoo: The Reid Park Zoo is a 24-acre zoo located in Tucson. It features over 500 animals from around the world, including lions, tigers, giraffes, and elephants. Visitors can participate in various educational programs and events. Visit The Reid Park Zoo Website
- Pima Air & Space Museum: The Pima Air & Space Museum is one of the world’s largest non-government-funded aviation and space museums. The museum features over 350 aircraft and spacecraft and exhibits on aviation history and technology. Visit the Pima Air & Space Museum Website
- Biosphere 2: Biosphere 2 is an experimental research facility designed to simulate a self-sustaining environment on a small scale. Visitors can tour the facility and learn about the research conducted there. Visit the Biosphere Website
- Sabino Canyon: Sabino Canyon is a scenic canyon in the Santa Catalina Mountains near Tucson. Visitors can take a tram ride through the canyon, hike the many trails, or picnic in the picnic areas. Visit the Sabino Canyon Website
- Mt. Lemmon Scenic Byway: The Mt. Lemmon Scenic Byway – Catalina Highway – is a beautiful drive through the Santa Catalina Mountains. The road climbs over 9,000 feet and offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape. Visit the Mt. Lemmon Scenic Byway Website
- Tohono Chul: Tohono Chul is a botanical garden and nature preserve in Oro Valley. It features a variety of gardens, including a desert garden, a butterfly garden, and a children’s garden. Visitors can also explore the nature preserve and participate in various educational programs. Visit the Tohono Chul Website
- Children’s Museum – The Children’s Museum is a fun and educational museum designed for children ages 0-10. The museum features a variety of interactive exhibits, including a mini city, a bubble room, and a grocery store. Visit The Children’s Museum Website
- Old Tucson – Old Tucson is a movie studio and theme park located West of Tucson. Visitors can tour the movie sets, watch live shows, and participate in various activities like gold panning and horseback riding. Visit The Old Tucson Website
- Titan Missile Museum: The Titan Missile Museum is a Cold War-era missile silo-turned museum. Visitors can tour the underground facility and learn about the Cold War’s history and the Titan missile’s role in nuclear deterrence. Visit The Titan Missile Website
Oro Valley and the surrounding area offer various activities and attractions for families with children. From outdoor adventures to educational museums, there is something for everyone to enjoy.